I grew up with three siblings, loads of kids, and I’m seasoned babysitter. I’m not naive. But kids never cease to astound. Yesterday, I had my friend’s three youngest kids, ages 9, 4, and 3.
Within a three hour time block I:
- Let them scale the parking lot handicapped signs. The 4 year old can get to the top!
- Endured a crying fit from the 4 year old because he didn’t want to leave his sister
- Lost to the little scoundrel for the sake of propriety (hey, he’s not my kid)
- Made up with him later when he came and sat on my knee
- Heard the best mis-speak from the 9 year old, “But we don’t like to go there. We’re like… scary cats…”
- Told one of them to lick his hand completely clean (better that than chocolate smeared all over my car)
- Wiped the other kid’s fingers on his shirt in lieu of napkins
- Prevented them from trolling out the window with a yoyo while we were driving home
Bless their mother.